Wednesday 30 June 2010

Flake cake

It is just a regular Wednesday, what we in Norway sometimes refer to as “little Saturday”, and I thought it would be nice with a midweek treat.


I got this cake recipe last time I was over in England and have used it with success a few times. Some weeks ago Hubby and I were sitting down for a coffee and cake on the veranda, when a neighbour from down the road walked by. We invited him to come on over or a cuppa and I cut him a hearty slice of the cake. He must have liked it because he made sure he got even the tiniest crumbs before he put his plate down.

Why don’t you give it a try too?

Here is the recipe:

2 oz self-raising flour, wholemeal and white

2 oz ground almonds

2 oz grated coconut

4 oz butter

4 oz sugar

2 large eggs

1 large Cadbury Flake chocolate

Bake at 150 degrees for 35 minutes



I find almonds go well in many dishes, so I usually keep a small stock handy.


Use two large eggs or three small ones.


I’m very happy with my Typhoon scales, although I can't for the life of me understand why I chose to buy the red ones when all my other kitchen things are cream enamel. Oh well, I must have been in a red mood that day I suppose.


I usually use half and half of whole meal and white flour.


The coconut gives it a nice and chewy texture.


We never use margarine in cooking, only real butter.


This baking tin is actually a little bit too big for the recipe.


Warm cake straight from the oven smells divine.


If you serve it warm, a bit of ice cream on the side makes it even better.
Maple syrup flavoured ice cream is lovely, but vanilla will also go well with this cake.


The lovely old cups from Hubby’s granny are our favourites when we are having an afternoon treat.

Hope you’ll enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment